Delhi – 04 May, 2012 - Nokia today announced that its Location & Commerce unit is now offering expanded NAVTEQ Map coverage of India, having increased its India map by over 80% to 4,200+ cities in two quarters.
This data can be used by customers to create premier navigation and location applications for vehicles, personal navigation devices (PNDs), mobile handsets, tablets and the web. In addition to the numerous road attributes (such as direction of travel (one-ways), number of lanes and turn restrictions) provided within the map, the NAVTEQ Map can be enriched with a robust portfolio of advanced map content to guide drivers through the unique demands of India driving. These include:
• NAVTEQ Traffic Pro® Real-Time Traffic Service: Recently launched in India, NAVTEQ Traffic Pro® delivers detailed information about traffic speeds on motorways, main and secondary roads to enable more accurate estimated arrival times. This service is currently available in Delhi and Mumbai.
• Visual Content Portfolio: Some visual content highlights include Motorway Junction Objects, Sign-as-Real, Enhanced Junction Views and 3D Landmarks, and they are currently available in over 25 cities in India. All visual content works in harmony with the digital map for accurate geographic integration, providing an enriched visual guidance and improving overall driving experience.
• Point Addressing and Points of Interests (POIs): Traditionally, India’s addressing system does not follow a regular pattern. As a result, Indian users have tended to use POIs rather than addresses to select a destination in a navigation system. The NAVTEQ Map database has more than 6.25 million familiar markers, enabling customers to create applications that allow for destination selection via a POI look-up. An added benefit is that the POIs are organized by category, supporting customers' efforts to create applications that allow for simple searches when the POI name is not recognized.
In addition to the vast number of POIs, the Point Addressing product permits even more accurate location of individual, commercial and residential buildings, which can significantly enhance destination selection functionality and improve door-to-door arrival accuracy.
• NAVTEQ Natural Guidance™: For the first time in India, navigation applications are able to provide guidance that sounds like it is coming from a friend sitting next to you. Moving beyond the norm of using only time and distance-based directional cues – like ‘turn right in 50 meters’ – it will now guide users through vivid descriptions of static orientation points, such as distinctive landmarks and other contextual elements such as traffic lights – for example, ‘turn left after the blue glass building’, or ‘turn right at the traffic signal.’ This product is available in 14 cities in India.
• NAVTEQ Discover Cities™: For a business traveler, tourist or local resident, NAVTEQ Discover Cities enables unique pedestrian navigation and public commuting experiences by adding details such as bus routes, information on local and Metro trains etc., to the NAVTEQ Map. This exclusive combination of geometry and pathways, Points of Interest (POIs) and transit data enables the development of applications to help consumers navigate to their destinations via a variety of pedestrian-specific routes, including those entirely on foot or including portions using the public transit system.
• NAVTEQ Voice™: The map can be further enriched with voice products that enable audible guidance cues available in Hindi, Gujrati and Tamil, giving customers a more intuitive navigation experience.
“Use of navigation systems and location-based applications are growing exponentially in India. This coverage expansion which includes over 1.28 million kilometers of road network and 6.25 million Points of Interest represents our ongoing commitment to India. Providing our Indian customers with the highest quality maps, combined with the advanced content consumers are demanding allows them to capitalize on the opportunities that this market growth brings.” said Tarun Harnathka, Director of Map and Content, Indian Subcontinent, Nokia, Location & Commerce.
Nokia is a global leader in mobile communications whose products have become an integral part of the lives of people around the world. Every day, more than 1.3 billion people use their Nokia to capture and share experiences, access information, find their way or simply to speak to one another. Nokia's technological and design innovations have made its brand one of the most recognized in the world. For more information, visit http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia.
About Location & Commerce
Nokia’s Location & Commerce aims to build and monetize unique location experiences for great mobile products, the navigation industry and the automotive market. Location & Commerce provides both Content, including industry leading NAVTEQ® Maps, and Social Location Services, including the Nokia Location Platform and signatures applications like Nokia Maps ™ and Nokia Drive, all supported by Local Commerce. By complementing hardware, software and services with “smart” social location data, users will be able to experience the world in a variety of new and better ways.
Nokia and NAVTEQ Maps are trademarks in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved.